MDA appoints new chairman and board members2 min readReading Time: 2 minutes
The Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts (MICA) has appointed Mr Niam Chiang Meng, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports as Chairman of the Media Development Authority (MDA) for a two-year term beginning 1 January 2011.
He was seconded to the Singapore Broadcasting Corporation in 1993, and held the position of Vice President (News), Television Corporation of Singapore from 1994 to 1997.
He helmed the Housing and Development Board from 2002-2004 before he was appointed Permanent Secretary (Community Development, Youth and Sports) in January 2005. Mr Niam is also currently the Chairman of Singapore Sports School Ltd.
Seven new members have been appointed to serve on the MDA Board for a two-year term from 1 January 2011. They are:
- Mr Basskaran Nair, Senior Vice President, Corporate Marketing and Communications, CapitaLand Ltd
- Mr Ganesh Rajaram, Senior Vice President – Asia, Fremantlemedia Enterprises
- Mr Han Neng Hsiu, Director (Leadership Development)/Director (Rewards and Recognition), Public Service Division
- Mr Kam Tse Tsuen Aubeck, Chief Executive Officer, Media Development Authority
- Mr Koh Buck Song, Chief Executive Officer, Integrative CSR Consulting Pte Ltd
- Mdm Moliah Binte Hashim, Chief Executive Officer, Yayasan MENDAKI
- Mrs Mildred Tan, Managing Director/Partner, Ernst & Young Associates Pte Ltd
Seven other members have also been reappointed for a further two-year term from 1 January 2011. They are:
- Dr Adrian David Cheok, Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National University of Singapore
- Mr Wayne Chou, Managing Director, Popular Holdings Ltd
- Mr Hri Kumar Nair, Director, Drew & Napier
- Mr Ian Anthony Macdonald, President, Hong Leong Finance
- Mr Tan Choon Shian, Deputy Managing Director, Economic Development Board
- Brigadier-General Tan Meng Dui, Director, Military Intelligence, Ministry of Defence
- RADM(NS) Ronnie Tay, Chief Executive Officer, Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore
Both MICA and MDA would like to place on record their deep appreciation for the invaluable contribution of Dr Tan Chin Nam, who was Chairman of MDA since its formation on 1 January 2003. The Singapore media industry will continue to benefit from Dr Tan’s experience in promoting the industry both locally and internationally, in his capacity as the Chairman of the MDA International Advisory Panel.
MICA and MDA would also like to thank the following retiring Board members for their outstanding service:
- Mr Douglas Abrams, Managing Director, Expara Pte Ltd
- Dr Christopher Chia, Senior Advisor, Ministry of Information, Communications and the Arts
- Professor Chong Tow Chong, Provost, Singapore University of Technology and Design
- Mr Thomas Martin Keaveny, Executive Vice President and Managing Director, Discovery Networks Asia Pacific
- Mr Billy Koh, Founder and Managing Director, Ocean Butterflies Music Pte Ltd
- Dr Suzaina Bte Abdul Kadir, Assistant Professor, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore
- Mr Christopher Thompson, Media Consultant, Asia and Middle East
- Ms Zaihirat Banu, Chief Executive Officer, Oak3 Films Pte Ltd