Sinema Export! Sanif Olek’s Love Trilogy4 min readReading Time: 4 minutes
“Take away LOVE and the earth is a tomb.” Sanif Olek’s LOVE Trilogy kicks off the new Sinema Export! programme. LOVE trilogy comprising of the short films LOST SOLE, A LA FOLIE and AMEEN have won numerous awards and screened at numerous international film festivals.
Director will be in attendance with selected cast. The Q&A session will be moderated by Nicholas Chee, Managing Director ““ Sinema.
Local director Sanif Olek’s LOVE Trilogy will be screening as a Hari Raya Puasa special coming this November at Sinema.
Sinema Export! is a new event programme that will screen award-winning and acclaimed selection of local films that have been supported by Sinema and Singapore Polytechnic at international film festivals and curated programmes. All sessions will be followed by a Q&A session.
The screening of the LOVE Trilogy is supported by Singapore Malay Film Society (SMFS).
Date: 12th October 2010
Location: Sinema Old School
(11B Mount Sophia, B1-12, Singapore 228466).
Admission is free!
The LOVE Trilogy
1. Lost Sole | LOVE Trilogy 1
Sanif Olek | Malay | 17mins | PG
Hj Sabtu discovers to his dismay that his slippers have gone missing after Friday noon solat at Kampung Glam. How far can he go without his sole? The search for his slippers leads to self-discovery.
LOST SOLE berlaku setelah solat Jumaat di Kampung Glam apabila Haji Sabtu menyedari kehilangan seliparnya. Pencarian selipar membawa kepada penemuan dirinya sendiri.
~~~Awards & Selected Screenings~~~
- Best Film on Religion ,International Festival of Short Films on Culture 2008, Jaipur
- Best Narrative Film, Rahmat International Shortfilm Festival 2008, Tabriz, Iran
- Official Selection,Vancouver Singapore Film Festival 2010, Vancouver, Canada
- Official Selection, Jogja – NETPAC Asian Film Festival 2008, Indonesia
- Official Selection, Open Cinema Festival 2007, St Petersburg, Russia
- Official Selection, Rhode Island International Film Festival 2006, USA
- Official Selection, Montreal World Film Festival 2006, Canada
- Official Selection, New York Museum of Modern Art 2006, USA
2. Ã la folie (like crazy) | LOVE trilogy 2
Sanif Olek | Malay | 12mins | M18
Set on Serangoon Road in Singapore’s “Little India” quarter, the mythical characters of Sinta, Arjuna and Rawana from the classic Ramayana text are reincarnated in this present-day postmodern rock-and-roll remix.
Diilhamkan dari teks klasikal Ramayana. Berlatarkan “Little India” Singapura di Jalan Serangoon, filem kedua di dalam Trilogi Cinta meneroka cinta dengan gaya pasca moden.
~~~Award & Selected Screenings~~~
- Best Short Film, 4th Jogja-NETPAC Asian Film Festival 2009, Indonesia
- Official Selection, San Francisco International Asian American Film Festival 2009, USA
- Official Selection, Montreal World Film Festival 2009, Canada
- Official Selection, Maskara Shorties Film Festival 2010, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Official Selection, Sinema Showoff! Masala Mix, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Upcoming)
3. AMEEN | LOVE Trilogy 3
Sanif Olek | Malay | 14mins | NC16
Johan is infatuated with Yati and Sharifa, two girls from the Islamic Madrasah school. What exactly does Johan have up his sleeves in order to get the girls’ attention?”
Filem terkemudian ini mempertanyakan erti cinta di sebalik sampul rohani dan selaput yang tercela.
~~~ International Film Festivals ~~~
- Official Selection, Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival 2010, USA
- Official Selection, Montreal World Film Festival 2010, Canada
- Official Selection, Hawaii International Film Festival 2010, USA
- Official Selection, Sinema Showoff! The Balik Kampung Collection 2, 2010, Singapore
~~~ Director’s Bio ~~~
Sanif Olek is one of the island’s finest TV director and independent filmmaker. Sanif’s strenth lies with merging commercial expectations with arthouse sensibilities for a mainstream audience.
In a career spanning 15 years Sanif has produced numerous award-winning TV programmes, music videos and commercials. Sanif himself has won the “˜Best Director’ award twice at MediaCorp’s Pesta Perdana that honours the best in the Malay television industry in Singapore.
After A-Levels Sanif completed his National Service, where he was enlisted as a Commando. He then went on to do a Diploma in Film & Media Studies from Ngee Ann Polytechnic and a Bachelor of Arts (Media & Communications) from Murdoch University.
Sanif currently juggles between full-time television work, he is currently working a documentary episode for Channel News Asia and completing his debut feature film, RAMUAN RAHASIA (THE MISSING INGREDIENT).
Films in The LOVE Trilogy has been independently produced by reeljuice Films.Official site
~~~ Moderator’s Bio ~~~
Nicholas Chee is a Phofilmusigner (Photographer + Filmmaker + Musician + Designer), Social Entrepreneur and a Creative Educator. His feature film BECOMING ROYSTON played at several film festivals and received three nominations at the Asian Festival of First Films in 2006.
Nicholas Co-Founded Sinema Old School, Singapore’s first independent cinema with his classmate Randy Ang in 2007. Nicholas remains Sinema’s Managing Director.
Nicholas holds a Diploma in Visual Communications from Temasek Polytechnic and a Masters in Arts in Photography from University of Arts London.